Benefits of Having a Medical Marijuana Recommendation Once Prop 64 Takes Effect (Beginning January 1st, 2018)
• Taxes: Medical Marijuana patients will save money on taxes. Recreational marijuana is expected to cost 15-20% more than medical.
• Dispensary Options: Patients with a medical marijuana recommendation will have access to more dispensaries. The decision to allow recreational dispensaries will be left up to municipalities and counties, thus less availability to recreational consumers. These cities and counties can also impose further restrictions.
• Age Requirements: Medical Marijuana patients can consume medical marijuana starting at age 18. Minors can also have access to medical marijuana as well,with a parent’s consent and a valid medical marijuana recommendation from a doctor. Recreational marijuana will only be available to patrons that are 21 years of age or older.
• Potency: Medical Marijuana patients will have access to higher potency marijuana. Recreational edibles will be limited to 10 mg of THC per serving size, and no more than 100 mg in a single product package. Tinctures, topicals, and concentrates will also have their limits. Medical Marijuana patients will have access to stronger and more potent products with a maximum of 2,000 mg of THC per product. Meanwhile, recreational patients can only have up to 1,000 mg of THC per product.
• Possession: Medical Marijuana patients can possess up to 8 ounces of marijuana. Recreational patrons will be limited to 1 ounce of marijuana.
• Growing: Medical Marijuana patients can grow up to 6 mature or 12 immature plants. Recreational is limited to 6 immature plants.
• Gifts and Giveaways: Medical Marijuana patients will be able to receive gifts and giveaways under certain circumstances (i.e. veterans, low-income, etc.). Gifts and giveaways are not allowed to be given to recreational patrons.