• Does my ESA letter apply to all housing units? 

You are protected by the Fair Housing Act and Americans with Disabilities Act. Your landlord or property manager must accept your ESA letter. They cannot charge you any fees, including pet deposit fees.


Some exemptions do apply

1.) If the size of the ESA is unable to be accommodated in the housing unit. For ex: An Emotional Support Horse in a studio apartment. 

2.) If the building is 4 units or less and the landlord occupies one of the units on site. 

3.) If you are renting a single-family house without a realtor.


If you fall under one of these exemptions, we suggest asking your landlord about their ESA policy before visiting with our doctor. We have found some landlords to be more flexible to their "No Pet Policy" with ESAs due to your disability and need for your ESA as a form of treatment. 



• How do I qualify for an Emotional Support Animal letter?

You must have one or more of the following medical conditions to qualify: Anxiety, Bi-Polar, Depression, Insomnia, Panic Attacks, Personality Disorder, Phobias, PTSD, and/or Stress.


• Can I have more than 1 animal as an ESA?

Yes. You must have multiple medical conditions and each animal has to be supporting one or more of those needs. (For example, your cat helps alleviate your insomnia, while your dog helps alleviate your anxiety and stress.) We can allow multiple animals to be on the same ESA letter, however, some housing units and airlines may require you to provide a separate letter for each animal.


• Do I need an ID card for my ESA?

We offer Verification ID cards for $25. These cards are optional and completely voluntary. The fee for the card is $25.


• I qualified for an ESA letter. How long is it valid for?

There is no expiration date on your ESA letter, although most airlines will require your letter to be less than a year old. If you are in need of a new and updated letter, you must come into our office and visit with the doctor. We offer discounted rates for return patients.


• How do I know that this is legal?

Illegal operations are contracted for a specific fee to provide you with an ESA letter. At New Leaf Wellness Center, our doctor must determine whether you qualify for an ESA letter based on a medical history and evaluation. If our physician feels your medical condition is not valid, you will not qualify and you will not receive a letter. There are also some websites that will “certify” your animal as an ESA. They will send you a certificate in the mail stating your animal is an “ESA”, but that is all it is… just a certificate. These do not include a physician’s signature which is required by state and federal law.


• What laws protect my right as an ESA patient?

You are protected under the Fair Housing Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.


• I would like to get an Emotional Support Animal Evaluation. What next?

 You can come in during our normal business hours. We take walk-ins up until 20 minutes before closing. You can also book an appointment online. Please bring in any medical records you may have on you, so we can make copies for the physician. Medical records are not required for your visit, but can help with the process.  


• I cannot come in to visit with the doctor. Can I do the evaluation remotely?

 Yes, please click on this link for more information.


• I do not live in California. Can I still be evaluated?

 Will my letter work in other states. Yes, please click this link for information on how to begin a telehealth evaluation.
 Your ESA letter is covered by Federal Law and can be used in any state in the U.S.

New Leaf Wellness Center
13347 W Washington Blvd.
Culver City , CA 90066
Phone: 424-201-0611
Office Hours

Get in touch